Regional developments in Northeast Asia have kept John Nilsson-Wright busy commenting at length in the UK and international media.
See below for a full list of UK and international print and media comment and analysis:
1. On North Korea (missile launches, nuclear test, decapitation options, Kim’s motivations, Trump’s options, prospects for US alliance relations in NE Asia, the role of China; assassination of Kim Jong-nam)
- BBC Ulster Radio discussion: Hanoi summit February 2019
- North Korea: Where is the war of words with US heading?
- North Korea: How real is Seoul’s assassination threat?
- North Korea’s nuclear tests: How should Trump respond?
- North Korea crisis: What does Kim Jong-un really want?
- North Korea new missile test: A game-changer?
- North Korea: What can the outside world do?
- Koreas summit: Will historic talks lead to lasting peace?
- BBC World News interviews (videos below)
- DONALD TRUMP TALKS NORTH KOREA AND MILITARY BUILD UP ‘LIKE NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN’
- WAS DONALD TRUMP’S NORTH KOREA SUMMIT A FAILURE?
- Dr. John Nilsson-Wright chairs a discussion with Professor Chung-in Moon on the nature of North Korea’s nuclear threat and the response it has engendered from the new South Korean government.
- Are Tensions Thawing on the Korean Peninsula? Chatham House webinar
k. Amodei Production: Monologue for Two
(Independent Belarusian TV station)
m. ITN’s Channel 5 news
o. ISPI (Instituto per gli Studi di Politica Internazionale)
p. Monocle Radio – The Globalist
The latest peninsula developments, looking ahead to president Moon Jae-in’s 3 day visit to Pyongyang on September 18 and this week’s statement from Kim Jong-un suggesting that he’s prepared to commit to complete denuclearisation by the end of Donald Trump’s first term in office.
r. KF – VUB Korea Chair podcast, released 30 November 2019
s. France 24
- Navigating Turbulent Waters: Foreign-Policy Challenges for South Korea’s New Government
- Predicting Chaos: The Debate on Denuclearization Isn’t Over
- Discussion on the trial of South Korea’s impeached former president Park Geun-hay.
- Two way discussion on the upcoming trilateral in Tokyo, between Japan, China and the ROK. (discussion runs from 11′ mark)
- Two-way interview on Japan’s response to the NK challenge and manga based public info campaigns on what to do in the event of an attack (begin around 20m mark)
- Monocle radio interview 23/10/201 (begins around 6m 53s)
- 2 minute two way with Monocle on The Briefing yesterday (from the 8 to 14’ mark) on Abe and the risk of his resignation in June
- Dr John Nilsson-Wright discusses US Vice President Mike Pence’s visit to Japan and Trump’s ongoing failure to think strategically about Asia (starts around 35′ mark).
- An interview with Monocle on Japanese defence policy, Constitutional change, the new National Defence Guidelines etc – prompted by the announcement of Japan’s acquisition of a new a/c carrier. (Starts at the 14’ mark and runs for about 6 minutes)
f. The Independent
g. Kyoto News