Regional developments in Northeast Asia have kept John Nilsson-Wright busy commenting at length in the UK and international media.
See below for a full list of UK and international print and media comment and analysis:
1. On North Korea (missile launches, nuclear test, decapitation options, Kim’s motivations, Trump’s options, prospects for US alliance relations in NE Asia, the role of China; assassination of Kim Jong-nam)
- North Korea: Where is the war of words with US heading?
- North Korea: How real is Seoul’s assassination threat?
- North Korea’s nuclear tests: How should Trump respond?
- North Korea crisis: What does Kim Jong-un really want?
- North Korea new missile test: A game-changer?
- North Korea: What can the outside world do?
- Koreas summit: Will historic talks lead to lasting peace?
- BBC World News interviews (videos below)
- DONALD TRUMP TALKS NORTH KOREA AND MILITARY BUILD UP ‘LIKE NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN’
- Dr. John Nilsson-Wright chairs a discussion with Professor Chung-in Moon on the nature of North Korea’s nuclear threat and the response it has engendered from the new South Korean government.
- Are Tensions Thawing on the Korean Peninsula? Chatham House webinar
(Independent Belarusian TV station)
m. ITN’s Channel 5 news
North and South Korea resume diplomatic talks
Interview in Korean on the topic of North Korea
o. ISPI (Instituto per gli Studi di Politica Internazionale)
90 Minute panel discussion ‘Dynamics on the Korean Peninsual after the inter-Korean Summit’
p. Monocle Radio – The Globalist
The latest peninsula developments, looking ahead to president Moon Jae-in’s 3 day visit to Pyongyang on September 18 and this week’s statement from Kim Jong-un suggesting that he’s prepared to commit to complete denuclearisation by the end of Donald Trump’s first term in office.
r. KF – VUB Korea Chair podcast, released 30 November 2019
- Navigating Turbulent Waters: Foreign-Policy Challenges for South Korea’s New Government
- Predicting Chaos: The Debate on Denuclearization Isn’t Over
- Discussion on the trial of South Korea’s impeached former president Park Geun-hay.
- Two way discussion on the upcoming trilateral in Tokyo, between Japan, China and the ROK. (discussion runs from 11′ mark)
- Two-way interview on Japan’s response to the NK challenge and manga based public info campaigns on what to do in the event of an attack (begin around 20m mark)
- Monocle radio interview 23/10/201 (begins around 6m 53s)
- 2 minute two way with Monocle on The Briefing yesterday (from the 8 to 14’ mark) on Abe and the risk of his resignation in June
- Dr John Nilsson-Wright discusses US Vice President Mike Pence’s visit to Japan and Trump’s ongoing failure to think strategically about Asia (starts around 35′ mark).
- An interview with Monocle on Japanese defence policy, Constitutional change, the new National Defence Guidelines etc – prompted by the announcement of Japan’s acquisition of a new a/c carrier. (Starts at the 14’ mark and runs for about 6 minutes)
f. The Independent
What does Shinzo Abe’s election win mean for Japan?
g. Kyoto News
Short interview with John Nilsson-Wright